Hi. So I gave GMAT today and was very relieved to see a 740 staring at me at the end of the exam.
I can now stop looking for dangling modifiers and subject verb agreement even while reading text messages and emails. :)
Okay so this post will be dedicated to my GMAT prep. It might not interest people with no interest in GMAT. Hence the warning :)
1. I decided around March that I need to give GMAT. Mid April I got my OG 11th edition for some 1100 bucks :
2. However, I was not studying properly. I mean, I was totally free and just did not want to do anything. Maybe that was coz I had just finished B school and no matter how much my mind told me to study, the heart would not listen
However during this time I did 0G11. I started with the diagnostc test and realised that (of all things!) my strength was Quant and the weakest link was Verbal. Though I must say, quant by and large was quite easy and English by most standards is difficult and needs a lot of work.
3. In this time I went to my Nani's place and gave GMAT prep there. I score 710 and 700 respectvely. That was fine I could have given GMAT then only, but something told me I could do better.
Then I decide to give my self a break and made a detailed study plan begining one week after work began.
I knew it was going to very hectic and it was foolish of me to waste the holidays but I also knew that when pushed for time, I am at my best.
4. I got my friend to get me books from Delh. I spent 2 whole days reading briefs from people who had cracked it and those who had not cracked it as well.
It gave a very good idea of what to do and what not to do. The idea behind reading briefs is to not follow blindly everything you read, but once you read a couple of briefs you will start seeing some common things. Those are things that have a high chance of working for you!Concentarte on them
5. I decided a few things
- First I decided to not do verbal from any source other than OG.
- I therefore did both OG 11 and OG 12. I did all the questions of verbal 3 times
- I also decided to not leave a single word in OG verbal unread.
- Therefore I spent a lot of time reading the explanations to SC, CR and RC questions.
With time, I started understanding the grammar bit and I knew why the correct answer was a correct answer which I now feel is most important.
Apart from this the only other non OG book I did for verbal was Kaplan 800 which supposedly takes your score from 700 to 750 :P
Well in my case maybe it did!!
6. For quant I did the last 50 questions of OG11,12 in PS and DS. I then hunted for tough GMAT maths problems and spent most of the time studying them.
7. Gave GMAT prep again. Score 740 and then 770 (!!!) and gave the test toady to finally score 740 :)
Thats all for today, am really tired now:)
Take care people.