Monday, July 12, 2010

Goals


Hi,

I always start finding my life meaningless if I do not have atleast one major goal. Also, that goal cannot be any goal- it has to be a particular type of goal.
Till I was studying, it was simple- all my goals were academic. In engg college I wanted to be rank one and in B school I wanted to get just one medal. When I started working, goal was to get more than 730 in GMAT, then it was to get about 110 in Toefl and so on…..The common thing about these goals is that just thinking about them would give me the goose bumps. It would be something I could think about for hours. It would be the motivation that would make me put in that extra hour, it would be the madness that would make me mug up even though it was an open book exam. It was what made saying NO to that movie very easy.

My biggest problem with work is that I have not been able to find such a goal. Day to day tasks are not what I call proper goals. Every one does them. I make sure I do them well enough- I ensure that my bosses ( I have two and both are Australians! ) are happy with me ( which there are TW) but what lacks is a big goal.

Of late I think I have managed to find a couple for myself.

One is very big and very ambitious. I have never attempted such a thing before and I have no clue if I will be able to achieve it- I have started working towards it and am very keen to see if I have the capability to accomplish such a thing. It requires a lot of patience and hard work. I am more than ready to put that in- only thing is I hope that some good comes out of the hours I am putting into it even after working and managing the household without any help here.

The other one is related to work. Again ambitious, but not very. Its just something I am keen to see if I will be able to do. There is little in my hands here apart from doing my best and that is exactly what I am going to do.

The third is related to academics. I have been thinking about these great colleges you have in the UK. It would be an absolute shame to live for sometime in the UK and not have some experience with them. No, I am not going to target any big course- I am don’t with PhD attempts and with 7 months of work ex stand no chance of getting through another management programme. However there is something else that I have my eye on. I wanted to do it this year but since I had to start work, I knew it was not technically possible. So that is something I am looking at doing next year around this time.

Let see how many of these I achieve. May be I will achieve none….I don’t know….no harm in trying anyways, right?:)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one! RP

is writing a book one of them?

R said...

no, but what made you think about it?

R said...

no, but what made you think about it?

Swathy said...

hi Rp..
I can understand... I myself am feeling a bit off because of lack of a proper goal..
guess what, i just planned 2-3 goals for the future..
I believe it would be nice..i should be working towards it!
shall write about it soon.. so that we can be 'goal' buddies..
what say?

Kishley (Dolly Sapra) said...

yup! nothing wrong in trying :)

I never had goals in my life.. Always studied what intrigued me :) Always worked when i loved the work.. got straight 'A's in doing what i loved.. Just passed in what i hated :D
Thankfully i'm in a job i love!

Anonymous said...

are you planning to run a marathon?
-SJ

Anonymous said...

are you planning to run a marathon?
-SJ

Anonymous said...

Don't leave us guessing - next post needs to be on more specific details on the goals :)

R said...

@swathy- heyy...why dont you blog aobout your goals?? :)

@kishley- I know the type you belong to :) comeplete opposite of mine- but you guys manage to achieve as much if not more! Also it helps your heart !

@SJ- no. Though i did comtemplate it when the London marathon was happenieng and I felt very enthusiastic about the cool outfits and the cheering and all that--- but naah....i wont be able to do that:)

@anon- the details will follow when the goals are achieved :P

R said...

@swathy- heyy...why dont you blog aobout your goals?? :)

@kishley- I know the type you belong to :) comeplete opposite of mine- but you guys manage to achieve as much if not more! Also it helps your heart !

@SJ- no. Though i did comtemplate it when the London marathon was happenieng and I felt very enthusiastic about the cool outfits and the cheering and all that--- but naah....i wont be able to do that:)

@anon- the details will follow when the goals are achieved :P

adr said...

Summer school?